The Better Business Bureau, Mainland BC is one of over 100 Bureaus networked across North America. This iconic non-profit organization exists to promote, develop and encourage an ethical marketplace. The BBB helps consumers find and recommend businesses they can trust, as well as supports Accredited Businesses with amazing tools and programs.
Our BBB Mainland BC & Yukon is the largest in Canada and is a star in consumer support services including complaints, customer reviews, advertising reviews and education and we are a Leader in advancing marketplace trust.
Our President is retiring soon, and so we are looking for the right individual to pass the Torch of Excellence to. This is a multi faceted position, that requires a combination of operational, strategic and entrepreneurial strengths! It’s a complex and high-profile role compared to most not for profit positions in BC, but an infinitely rewarding and interesting one!
We are looking for a growth focused, entrepreneurially minded CEO who will lead the Bureau with vision and enthusiasm as we continue to be the most trusted consumer source and valued partner for accredited businesses in the ever-changing landscape of the marketplace.
Key needs for this role:
- Are you described as an inspirational business leader known for your ethical business practices and personal initiative?
- Do you have senior management experience leading a diverse group of managers, staff and volunteers?
- Do you have sales and marketing in your background?
- Do you have budget creation and financial management accountability?
- Are you a confident public speaker with experience in media relations; do you enjoy building relationships in the business community and the public at large?
- Do you have experience working with or on Volunteer Boards of Directors, and have a good understanding of Board governance?
- Do you have a background in B2C ( ideally retail focused)?
This is truly a unique position that rarely comes available. You will play the lead role in a well known, highly respected and visible organization. We are looking for someone with the diverse management experience needed to manage the significant oversight duties of the Bureau yet enjoys the intimacy of managing a mid size business where you can see the direct results of your efforts.
Please review this job description below then email your credentials in complete confidence to elaine AT retailcareers.com asap. Closing date is July 15 2020
Better Business Bureau of Mainland British Columbia
Position Description for President
Statement of Purpose
The Better Business Bureau of Mainland BC (BBBMBC) exists to promote, develop and encourage an ethical marketplace. The President’s primary and overriding objective is to oversee the achievement of that BBBMBC Statement of Purpose, within the limits of the stated executive boundaries.
It is an exciting time for the BBB as we navigate the ever-changing landscape of online consumer search and review. We are looking for a growth-focused CEO with a vision for how the BBB can continue to be a trusted source for consumers and a value-add partner for our accredited businesses.
As chief executive officer of the BBBMBC, the President reports to the Board of Directors. The President is empowered by the Board to exercise reasonable judgment in enacting the current policies of the BBBMBC.
The President’s job is to provide strategic leadership and operational excellence while maintaining a positive organizational culture and furthering the visibility and image of Better Business Bureau. This role oversees the BBB services provided to the public and to the business community.
This role will be instrumental in furthering the progress of BBB serving Mainland British Columbia and Yukon Territories including a focus on adding Accredited Businesses, growing the visibility and brand recognition of the organization.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
Growth – Increase the number of Accredited Businesses while striving to create greater awareness and usage of consumer BBB programs and services:
- Provide oversight to all Accreditation sales and marketing activities to ensure year over year membership (Accredited Business) growth
- Work with the staff and the Board, to develop solid communication, marketing and sales programs designed to attract new Accredited Businesses.
- Plan and oversee the execution of strategic marketing initiatives to increase awareness of the BBBs value to consumers and businesses.
- Identify opportunities to promote the BBBs competitive advantage and maintain relevance inlight of competitors such as Google or Yelp.
- Identify and implement sales/marketing initiatives to ensure the BBB remains a primary choice for consumers to vet and find businesses they can trust.
- Ensure the BBB brand, mission, programs and services are consistently presented in a strong positive image in the marketplace
Retention and Relationship Management – One of the biggest challenges the BBB faces is ensuring that Accredited Businesses understand and realize the ongoing value the BBB offers. We are looking for a President that can help maximize the retention of our Accredited Businesses by:
- Working with the staff and the Board, to develop solid communication, marketing and sales programs designed to retain Accredited Businesses
- Looking at the BBB’s business model and pricing relative to the perceived value to determine what price point and subscription model will maximize retention
- Ensuring that the BBB’s Accreditation standards and policies are maintained at a high-level while still focussing on maximizing retention
Communications – Ensure that effective communications programs are in place as well as good working relationships within the business community, media and the non-political elements of the government to increase BBB visibility:
- Staff: Oversee and mentor the BBB management team with respect to all aspects of BBB communication
- Board: Ensure that the Board is kept up to date with relevant and complete information and reports as required or requested
- Public Relations: Active participation in regular media interviews, public presentations, effective programming of media releases and alerts, creation of articles and other publication materials, BBB events and attendance at various business functions – the President shall promote the BBB at every opportunity and be the face and voice of the BBB
- Strategic Relationships: Establish and maintain partnerships and relationships with the key community, corporate and government officials and to identify and develop new relationships to support strategic plans
BBB Operations – working with the BBB management team, the President’s mandate includes the development and implementation of operational procedures for the BBBMBC in compliance with the requirements of the International Association of Better Business Bureaus and applicable laws:
- Execute the Board’s strategic plans by producing long term view with planned short term steps and monitor the plan
- Plan and implement investment in technology to ensure that the BBB is capitalizing on new business opportunities
- Enhance the service levels of the BBB so that it attains highest credibility within the general public and the business community and is perceived as the leader
- Negotiate premises lease and improvements – consider options and make recommendations to the Board
- Organize and administer the affairs of the Board of Directors and ensure that the Board has all the materials and necessary information in a timely fashion
- Ensure safe storage of Board records
- Ensure that the Board is kept up to date with relevant and complete information and reports as required or requested from the Board
- Oversee the development and delivery of ongoing programs and services to Accredited Businesses and consumers.
Human Resources – Manage the recruitment, hiring, training, retention and supervision of all BBBMBC staff.
- Provide leadership and motivation to all BBB management and staff in the spirit of building and maintaining high team morale, and maintaining a productive and healthy work environment.
- Foster a success-orientated, accountable environment within the organization
- Oversee and mentor BBB management staff with respect to HR functions within the BBB
- Ensure that the BBBMBC Accredited Businesses, staff and general public are treated with fairness, dignity and respect as outlined in the BBBMBC statement of values
- Maintain an up to date plan to ensure human safety in the office and continuing operations in case of emergency or disaster
Financial – Protect the health of the BBBMBC by creating and maintaining a tightly controlled administrative and fiscal organization, and working within an approved budget:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive, integrated annual business plan, including goals and objectives, marketing and communications plans, operational budgets and evaluating procedures
- Protect the BBBMBC and its Directors and officers from all reasonably foreseen risks, such as adequate insurance in place
- Prepare and recommend an annual operating budget for approval by the Board of Directors
- With support from the Board’s Finance Committee, present Monthly financial statements to board for approval
Legal – Ensure BBB compliance and monitoring of legal and ethical requirements. The CEO will abide by generally accepted standards of ethical behaviour and will strive to set an example of ethics that is beyond reproach:
- Negotiate and monitor all contracts and ensure that they are implemented as required
- Oversee any lawsuits or settlement claims
- Consult with BBB lawyers as required
- Continuous awareness of potential issues
- Ensure that procedures are in place to maintain records as is legally required
We are looking for an inspirational leader, with initiative and an entrepreneurial spirit who has demonstrated passion for ethics in business.
- 10 years of senior management experience in a leadership role
- Experience in both media relations and interaction with the public
- A proven history of community involvement
- A strong sales and marketing background, with proven performance in growing business and retaining customers
- Complete competency in financial management including computer skills
- Previous experience in not-for-profit organizations is not mandatory but is an asset
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the person so classified.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $128,000.00 /year